Paper wallets have become surprisingly popular after the launch of the Mighty wallets.
Made from Tyvek paper, these accessories are known for their slim profile that becomes expandable to accommodate all your essentials.
However, most paper wallets on the market are rather expensive.
Luckily, if you have a bit of DIY creativity, you can learn how to make a wallet out of paper and brag with your one-of-a-kind accessory.
Table of Contents
Tools and Materials
Making a wallet out of paper might seem complicated, but it’s easier than you might think. You will need:
- One sheet of paper with a size of 8.5 by 11 inches.
- Duct tape
How to Make a Wallet Out of Paper
- Take your 8.5 x 11 inches sheet of paper and fold it in half. Open it and fold the two flaps into the middle; you should now have a piece of paper folded in four.
- Holding the paper horizontally, fold it in half again (you should fold it perpendicular to the other folds). Now, crease the paper from the folds you just made. You’ll notice the paper already has a tendency to stay closed. While this is the basic wallet shape, you should now unfold the paper and take out the scissors.
- Holding the paper vertically, you should cut about half an inch from one end of the paper to its middle, on both sides of the middle line. When you’re done, cut about one inch on both sides of the sheet along each horizontal folding line.
- Keeping the paper vertically and with the median cut towards you, count from top to bottom and fold the second and fourth flaps on either side of the paper.
- Now, tape the bottom panel of the paper (the cut you’ve done in the middle of the sheet), but leave the second panel from the bottom untapped.
- Neatly fold your wallet starting from the back to the edges and following the folding lines you have already made. At this stage, you should have two flaps sticking out at each end of the wallet.
- You should now lock the ends of the wallet, and the easiest way to do it is by locking each end separately. Start from the inside of the wallet towards the outside, you should have a flap, a pocket, another flap, and another pocket. Numbering them from 1 to 4 from inside out, proceed with folding the inner flap number 3 into the inner pocket number 2. Do the same with the outer flap 1, folding it into the outer pocket number 4. Switch the wallet and do the same thing at the other end. If you want the wallet to hold up better, you could even tape the flap 3 into the pocket.
- That’s it! Your paper wallet is now ready to decorate and use.
Very similar to the Mighty wallet, this type of wallet can hold everything from four easily accessible bank cards to up to four additional locked credit cards, tons of cash, receipts, coupons, and other essentials.
While you can make it from any kind of paper, Tyveck will surely hold more than other types, or you could even use fabric if you have it.
Another nice thing is that this type of wallet is fully customizable. You can print any pattern you want on the paper before folding up your wallet or draw on it once it’s ready. The only limit is your imagination.
An Alternative Method
If you don’t want to use tape, you can make a very similar wallet following the instructions in the video below:
Why Make A Wallet Out Of Paper?
There are so many wallets on the market, that making a wallet out of paper could seem strange.
However, there are many reasons why you should:
- Uniqueness: Making a wallet out of paper gives you the chance to enjoy a unique accessory. You can use any type of paper you like and decorate it to your liking.
- Budget-friendly: Making this type of wallet wouldn’t cost you more that a few bucks. If you already have duct tape and use recycled paper, you can even make a new wallet for free. Not to mention that it can be extremely stylish.
- Quality family time: Okay. Perhaps you don’t want to give up your fancy leather wallet. Nevertheless, learning how to make a wallet out of paper can help you spend quality time with your kids. Just make sure to supervise the youngsters while they are using the scissors.
- Unwinding: Even if you don’t have kids, arts and crafts can help you unwind after a long day at work. Definitely something worth trying.
- Original gift: As long as you use high-quality paper or paper-like fabric, you can use either of the methods above to create original gifts. They cost little and will surely be priceless for the recipients.
Down to You
A paper wallet is undoubtedly an original yet stylish accessory. Sleek and minimalist, it can easily compete with any slim wallet on the market.
There are many brands that manufacture paper wallets, so whether you want to make your own or buy one is down to you.
Whatever your choice, know that with the right care, such an accessory can be your trustworthy ally for the years to come. No doubt, a great choice for all modern men looking for the perfect wallet, as well as a great gift or creative project for the youngsters.