Men’s wallets are indispensable accessories; all men pair with their everyday wear. There are dozens of models on the market, but if you aim for something original, you should learn how to make an origami wallet.
This useful accessory is an ideal gift for you or the man in your life, be it your father, partner, best friend, or son.
Indeed, an origami men’s wallet is a great alternative to a traditional one. You can customize it in any way you want, and can even use various tutorials to create a simpler or more complex accessory.
Table of Contents
What Are The Advantages Of An Origami Wallet?
It may seem improbable, but origami wallets come with a host of advantages. If you’re not yet sure why you should read this tutorial, find out why you should make one:
- Original: Nothing screams original more than an origami wallet. It doesn’t matter how many people use the same tutorial to create their own versions. Made by hand and with various types of paper, each piece will be absolutely unique.
- Customizable: Whether you want to write down a love or empowering message, decorate the wallet with unique art, or maybe change its size, it’s all doable. You’re the master of this artwork, and you can do whatever you want to make your creation different from all other.
- Expandable: The beauty of paper wallets, including the popular Mighty wallets, is that they are expandable. You can keep anything you want in it, from paper cash to receipts, vouchers, coupons, bank cards, and anything else you might want to carry with you.
- Cheap: Obviously, making an origami wallet requires some skills. However, it’s way cheaper than any other type of wallet you might find on the market. All you have to buy is some paper, or you could use newspapers for an even more original design.
- Easy to replace: Undoubtedly, an origami wallet is super easy to replace. Once it wears out, all you have to do is make another; you can have a brand new wallet each time you walk out the door if you want to.
With this in mind, let’s see how to make an origami wallet.
Tools and Materials
Making origami is extremely easy, and for this project, you will only need the following two items:
- Glue (optional)
How to Make An Origami Wallet
In this origami wallet, you will learn to make in this tutorial; you’ll be able to put real money, cards, and other useful items. The wallet is expandable and resistant.
All you need is a sheet of rectangular paper; you should use Tyvek paper for enhanced durability. This origami model is quick and easy to learn; a great choice for both kids and adults.
If you don’t have Tyvek paper, use some thick paper, such as a newspaper or another type of thick paper of larger size, such as A3.
Alternatively, you could stick two sheets of A4 size or letter paper together. Just put them side by side and overlap with a bit of glue. This size is perfect for carrying banknotes, receipts, vouchers, and coupons. With the same instructions but a smaller piece of paper, you can create a shorter wallet, which would be great for credit cards.
Now, let’s check out these DIY origami wallet instructions so you can create your masterpiece.
- Place your rectangular piece of paper in landscape position, then fold the bottom up to the top. Make a crease in the middle of the paper and unfold. This central fold shouldn’t be over creased, but it will determine the place where your wallet folds in half.
- Take a banknote and use it as a guide. Fold the bottom edge upwards and leave a gap where it ends; the precise distance will depend on the size of your currency.
- Now, fold the bottom upwards along the central fold, then fold the top down over the front layer, using the crease as a guide. This will ensure that each fold is equal on each side so that your wallet will be symmetrical.
- At this stage, unfold the entire piece of paper until you get the rectangular sheet back. Fold the bottom flap up of about half an inch; this will reinforce the outside pockets, making them more durable.
- It is now time to refold the paper along the central fold. Once folded, also fold the top edge downwards, over the front layer, using it as a guide. Unfold the paper again.
- Your origami wallet is almost ready, but there are still a few steps you should follow. Now, fold the bottom right and top right corner diagonally inwards, along the creases indicated previously. Refold all the creases, then flip the paper over from top to bottom.
- Keep the flaps you just folded on the right side and fold the right end to the left. At this stage, you can customize the size of your front pockets on the inside of the wallet, and fold as much or as little as you want to make the pockets.
- Now, fold the left end to the right and inside the two pockets. Depending on the size of your currency notes, you might have to leave a small gap. Now, straighten out the folds, making sure they are all lined up. Fold your wallet in half.
That’s it! Your origami wallet is now complete and ready to use.
Wrapping It All Up
Making an origami wallet is uncomplicated. All you need is a piece of paper and some glue if you want to stick two or more pieces of paper together.
With this technique, you can create as many origami wallets as you want, using the type of paper you like best. Happy crafting!